Friday, May 28, 2010

Backstage With California Contemporary Ballet's Laura Smith Mauldin

Back Stage with California Contemporary Ballet gives you an inside look into what it's like to be part of this remarkable company, and the lives of the dancers who make up the ensemble.  This week, we get up close and personal with CCB's Laura Smith Mauldin.

Hometown:  Fountain Valley, CA 19471_233688794240_813479240_2932516_4649041_n

Favorite Dancer (living or dead): Moira Shearer (Best ballerina of her time in my opinion)

What made you decide to start taking dance classes?

My mother could never get me to hold still as a kid, so she enrolled me in dance classes at age 6.  I've been hooked ever since.

Any moments, events,  films or performances that inspired you to pursue dance as a career?

Working with Jodie Gates on the re-staging of William Forsythe's "Artifact Suite" definitely gave me a sense of accomplishment.  The fact that I was cast by Jodie made me think  that I really had a chance to be a professional dancer.   

Where did you train?  Any memorable teachers or programs?

I trained at the University of California, Irvine, Moorpark College and California Dance Theater.  While at CDT, I loved taking class from Stanley Holden.  He kept me coming back to dance class while I was busy as a competitive ice skater. 

What’s your favorite style of dance to perform?       

Ballet!  It's what comes most naturally to me; I love the elegance and the grace.  Although, I also love to do things that are strong and dynamic too, such as modern dance or modern-ballet-fusion. 

What do you feel is the biggest challenge of being a dancer in Los Angeles?         

California is so big that it adds a new challenge because everything is so spread out.  You could have gigs in places that are two hours away in opposite directions, not like New York where everything is so close.  And the traffic-- Oi Vey! 

When did you join CCB?       

I did a dance festival with CCB in January 2009, but officially joined CCB in the summer of 2009.

What has been your favorite piece to perform with CCB?      19471_233688824240_813479240_2932521_8223706_n  

Playing the role of Gerda in last December's production of "The Snow Queen" was by far the most fun.  I got to be onstage the whole time and I loved her range if emotions: happy, worried, frustrated, defensive, and above all determined.  Gerda and I merged personalities very easily.  

Right: Laura partnered by Filip Stanek in The Snow Queen.

"Predea" is probably the most challenging piece and there is definitely a love/hate relationship there...It's a fantastic piece, but it kills me!   

Why do you dance?  What keeps you going with it?

I dance because I love it.  I love moving and performing.  I get excited over any performance whether it's at the Pasadena Civic Center or in a mall somewhere.  I just love to dance for people.       

Where do you see yourself in five years?   

I could be anywhere in five years.  I could be a mom, I could be in culinary school, I could be dancing for CCB, I could be teaching....any combination of any of those things is possible!      

Any advice for young dancers just starting out?    

If you love it, go for it!  Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't dance.  But make sure it's always fun, it's supposed to be fun!

Do you have any pre-performance rituals or superstitions when you’re backstage? 

I like to be quiet in my own mind right before I dance.  I visualize my choreography and go through the emotions of the piece in my head.  I definitely practice anything that is tricky for me before-hand.  And I always make sure I take off my jewelry! 

Meet all the members of CCB each week here on the CDA blog and for upcoming performances and more information visit CCB's website.

Posted via web from California DanceArts's Posterous Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment