Monday, April 5, 2010

Back Stage with CCB's Ryan Morrison

Back Stage with California Contemporary Ballet gives you an inside look into what it's like to be part of this remarkable company, and the lives of the dancers who make up the ensemble.  This week, we get up close and personal with CCB's Ryan Morrison.15142_1270254601019_1369490837_779875_3952408_n

Hometown:  Pasadena, CA

Favorite Dancer (living or dead): Angel Corella

What made you decide to start taking dance classes?

My mother thought I had too much energy, and she always loved dancing so she enrolled me in classes when I was seven and I've been dancing ever since. 

    Any moments, events,  films or performances that inspired you to pursue dance as a career?

I find it's not one performance or another.  When I watch dance it makes me want to get up and join in.  So pursuing dance as a career made sense.     

Where did you train?  Any memorable teachers or programs?

California Dance Arts is where I have done the majority of my training.  But I have also danced at a few different camps over the years, giving me the opportunity to travel and train in Salzburg and the Czech Republic.

What’s your favorite style of dance to perform?       

I don't have a favorite particular style.  I would have to say my favorite thing to perform is something with a storyline.  I really enjoy acting as well as dancing, so putting them together is super fun. 

What do you feel is the biggest challenge of being a dancer in Los Angeles?         

How little opportunity there is for work.  Most dance in L.A. is back-up, booty-shaking or hip hop.  Ballet just isn't very popular in L.A. 

Eef68834a1cc0595075490616521cb74 When did you join CCB?       

I joined CCB when I was nine as a junior member, back when it was called "Dance Street Performers."  And I've stuck with 'em while the company evolved from a group of young kids to a professional dance company.

{Ryan with fellow company member Jaclyn Stryker in Quintessence}

What has been your favorite piece to perform with CCB?    

Although it was murder, I think Blind Journey is still one of my favs.      

 

Why do you dance?  What keeps you going with it?

Girls...no, just kidding!  There is a certain amount of communication you can deliver using your whole body which you can't do in the other arts.  Being able to do that (communicate) to an audience is one of the best feelings.  I guess performing is what keeps me going.       

Where do you see yourself in five years?   

I don't really know, hopefully still dancing.     

Any advice for young dancers just starting out?    

Well for guys...STRETCH!  Flexibility is one of the hardest things to achieve the older you get.   

Do you have any pre-performance rituals or superstitions when you’re backstage? 

Well, if I am partnering I like to do all of my warm-ups with the person I am working with and I have to listen to some jamming music to get me pumped up. 

Meet all the members of CCB each week here on the CDA blog and for upcoming performances and more information visit CCB's website.

 

Posted via web from California DanceArts's Posterous Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment